Friday, February 25, 2022

Day3: Fordies Hut

We were excited to be heading off on our first off-road day and boy did it deliver. Dave Lear and myself were here 2 years ago together with Bernie, our friend  that couldn’t make it in this trip   Our memory was of a beautiful and relatively benign ride into Fordies hut where we stayed overnight. We arrived at about 2 pm. This time we arrived at 430 have conquered several Erzberg type river crossings. Still a fantastic ride and still beautiful beyond description but the recent heavy rain has taken its toll. Every side creek became a rock garden test  and deep, fast flowing water made it quite challenging. Especially knowing that we are a long way from anywhere. I managed to pretty much submerge myself in a “creek”, the Kiwi term for raging fucking flood. I was supposed to be assisting one of the Dave’s across who apparently didn’t notice me disappear into the flood https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1olLlF66_ei0b3XzhILIyHyBH6EPgVtBxhttps://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=10vlhglQrLpzzKH_c6PT3KnSsOqRaFnNphttps://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1Fv0jrrjDvceRzMQrxi6A-CWUMsf_Fqevhttps://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1NbBJxhYfz0IOTyVL3g9BO7FfgYBUIyiPhttps://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1d4odZBd10oSPrzmpWW5dj3VO55udck0Nhttps://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=19dI4Iy3Ozo17e7P1Fizxw7Sv49ua7zwtas they were quite surprised to hear I had water in my helmet. Think downward dog if you into yoga or doggie style if you into other stuff. No thanks were offered. Hot day fortunately. 
I have to give Dave Mac credit. Riding the big bike through today’s terrain was pretty impressive. I was very glad to be on the 500 which to be honest was the more appropriate bike. 
Tomorrow we have to do it all in reverse as there is not a hope in hell of crossing the Clarence. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Day 13: Homewards

So with all our off road options north from Hanmer blocked it had to be a cruise up state highway 1 along the east coast. Dave Mac made it v...